Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on x86_64 system: all well

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken on x86_64 system: all well
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:50:39 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> I'm unfamiliar with LD_LIBRARY_PATH issues, being a Windows guy.  The
> CMake 2.4.2 documentation doesn't even mention it.

This problem is not CMake-specific, so don't sweat it.

The general idea of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is that it's like PATH, but used
to look up DLLs rather than executables.  Windows has nothing equivalent,
and therefore Cygwin doesn't either, because loading DLLs is done by
Windows.  (The alternative would have been for Cygwin to have its
very own dynamic loader, and that was unpalatable.)

The alternative is to use the --rpath option to GNU ld to bind
absolute pathnames into the executable at link time.

> >2) chicken-setup needs to be run by root.
>
> What permissions should it have?

It's a matter of local policy.  On the systems I've been testing on,
/usr/local/lib is not world-writable, so anything that wants to install
there has to run as root, either "make install" or "chicken-setup foo".
Unixfolk are used to this.

--
John Cowan    address@hidden    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The whole of Gaul is quartered into three halves.