Re: [Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:55:36 -0700

Please respond to the list so that others can have input on this.

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

Then if the libraries are in the right place, why did you have a problem
on your system?

Because $PREFIX is /usr/local by default, and Unix doesn't by default
search /usr/local/lib for dynamic libraries.  Possible cures, all
of which affect more than CMake builds:

0) ignore the problem;

Not wise for the future.  The CMake build is intended to be the official build someday.

1) set $PREFIX to /usr by default (/usr/lib *is* searched by default);
   that's what the Debian packaging of Chicken does.

This can be done, but does it violate a Unixen's expectations?

2) hard-code the paths to lib(u)chicken(-static) in csi and other places;

It surprises me that they aren't.  I thought that's what all my quoting shenanigans were for.

3) fiddle with -rpath in libtool (a subject I understand little about)

CMake does not use libtool.  One would fiddle with RPATH in CMake.  Incidentally, with a ./configure install, I get all sorts of warnings about how I'm going to have to fool with libtool if I want to do anything useful.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every