Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 04:36:08 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> What tools are these?  Do they handle forks or variants?  If they only
> handle one true version, that's not very useful.

They're used by ibiblio that I know of for sure, and probably
other standard repositories as well.

Forks and variants are handled by changing the name part of the
"name-version.format" style.  Note that the name can contain
hyphens and the version and format can contain periods (as in "tar.gz").
The assumption made is that if you have foo-bar-123.tar.gz
and foo-bar-124.tar.gz (or baz-12a.zip or baz-12b.zip), the
first of each pair has been superseded by the second.

So chicken-2.41c would look like a later version than chicken-2.41,
which is not the case.

> I'm not keen on naming the build in a way that looks "unofficial" or
> "special" or "different."  As in, "what the hell is this -cmake-
> thing??"  I want people to just use the build.

But it *is* an unofficial build, at least for now.  And of course it
relies on the user already having cmake or being willing to install
it.  The same is true of autoconf/automake, of course, but those are
more widely distributed so far.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan