Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake tarballs
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 05:20:23 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 7/31/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sorry, but why do we need two different kinds of binary distributions?

This seems to be confusing the issue.  I thought the parlance was, a
Chicken tarball is not a binary, it is a source tree with .c files that
does not require Chicken in order to build it.  The CMake build has this
capability now.  However, it generates a different tarball than
./configure does.  It doesn't put .c files in the same places; this is
necessary to support CMake's two-stage bootstrapping and
out-of-directory build capabilities.

Oh, damn. Yes, of course you where talking about tarballs. I should
pay more attention.

Is there *some* way to have a single tarball layout?

Sure. I suggest creating /boot/*.c.in files as the CMake build does. That way, people won't get confused about .c files in their toplevel directory, whether those were built in-directory or came with the tarball, etc.

In what directories
do you need to put the files? I don't want different tarballs for different
build tools, that's silly.

No it is not silly, because...

So we have to make them equivalent and
distribute a single one.

...when you say "we," do you mean "you?" Unless you are willing to work on ./configure, or you can goad some other ./configure expert into doing it, these builds ain't gonna merge. I'm not a ./configure expert and I'm not going to become one. I'll handle stuff that needs to happen on the CMake side, that is easy for me. But learning ./configure in detail is a complete waste of my time and defeats the purpose of my last 9 months. If I had any intention of dealing with ./configure that much, I would have done it 9 months ago.

It would be quite sensible to distribute 2 builds to save work. It's sensible to have no conflation of issues, i.e. nobody half-building with ./configure then switching to CMake because something went wrong on MinGW, then half-arsing the whole thing in their bug report. No getting confused about which set of directions to follow. No deadcode paths, where say the distribution/release.setup code is being exercised, the dist.cmake code isn't, and the CMake build is always being broken on check-ins because it's not being exercised regularly.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every