Re: [Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] where do the friggin' libraries go on Unix?
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:31:33 -0700

Alejandro Forero Cuervo wrote:
1) set $PREFIX to /usr by default (/usr/lib *is* searched by default);
  that's what the Debian packaging of Chicken does.

This can be done, but does it violate a Unixen's expectations?

I think it would violate the GNU Coding Standards, that specify that
“The default value of prefix should be /usr/local”:

    http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables

I would most certainly expect “make install” not to install anything
outside of “/usr/local” unless I've explicitly told its configure
script to.

CMake also defaults to /usr/local on Unix and Cygwin.  I'm not interested in overriding that behavior.  It is difficult enough to get people to swallow CMake, without it doing things that some regard as incriminating.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every