[Chicken-users] Re: Cygwin via CMake: it works!

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Cygwin via CMake: it works!
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 10:04:37 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

I don't know if "wholly unnatural" ways, such as manually renaming the
libraries outside of the CMake build system, is prudent.  Sounds like a
good way to break stuff.

Now why didn't I think of that?  Musta been too sleep-deprived....

/me does "cmake; make; make install" and runs the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/lib
mv -f libchicken-0.dll.a libchicken.dll.a
mv -f libuchicken-0.dll.a libuchicken.dll.a
mv -f libchicken-static.a libchicken.a
mv -f libuchicken-static.a libuchicken.a

YEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It works!

I tried the old "x.scm" drill, then compiled x.scm with -static-libs
and again with -static.  Works, works, works, works!

It doesn't break anything.  Leave out any part of it and some things
do break.

Why does libchicken-static.a require renaming?  What evidence do you have for this?

Hard to argue with success.

Well, I suppose the argument is whether further testing shows that it breaks something.  But that would require further testing, and your initial method does get us farther along.  I will CMakeify it.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every