Re: [Chicken-users] RFC: documentation lookup utility

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RFC: documentation lookup utility
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 23:42:49 -0700

Toby Butzon wrote:
Did you have plans for where the data for each function would come from
for your application? And are you planning to provide just the argument
list or also a description of the function? I would be happy to combine
efforts on this indexing/retrieval problem if our needs really do overlap.

I don't really have a plan for such things. My bag is OpenGL, AI, game development, and CMake. As it is, I don't have any development time. Just found out today that I'm completely broke, so I've got fires to put out.

I don't document functions in any consistent way. I'm a lone wolf developer, I don't need to ensure that every single one of my functions has a description. I do believe in clarity of design, and I do comment things that are unclear. But some stuff, people just have to study the code and scratch their head to figure out how it works. I don't like doing that; I'm not sure anyone does; in any event it is time consuming. I just don't think abundant comments are going to save anyone the burden of understanding someone else's code. So I comment briefly where I feel it's needed.

If I were maintaining a public API I'd be more into comments and documentation. Maintaining public APIs is a huge chore. The CMake people aren't interested in doing it, for instance, even when offered the labor. An app is much easier to maintain than a public API.

Another consideration is that some people prefer locally installed documentation to internet documentation. For one thing, some crazies like myself are still on dialup. Although someone else is footing my cell phone bill, it does tie up my cell phone and the battery only lasts so long. Laptop users have similar problems. Also, sometimes people's online access goes down and they don't want to be shafted waiting for the network to come back up. Internet documentation has the advantage of being up-to-date, but I think a packaging system that pulled docs from remote repositories as they are updated, would be preferable to being required to be online.

There's an ecology of various Scheme development tools. I know that Quack http://www.neilvandyke.org/quack/ has some Chicken support in it, but it hasn't kept up with Chicken's website and documentation changes. I'll hazard a guess that the author isn't particularly into Chicken. Quack looks like a one man project, and as such, I doubt it's going to have any traction or use in Chicken circles. Quack seems heavily PLT oriented, and also GNU Emacs rather than XEmacs.

It seems pretty important to have an author or group that actually uses Chicken, in order for Chicken to get first class support. Really this open source stuff doesn't work when it's just 1 guy doing his own thing with his own toolchain, and not really caring about other people's toolchains. I mean, it just took me 9 months to get the CMake build together, and eggs are still broken on MSVC and MinGW, quite apart from CMake. And Chicken has multiple contributors and some semblance of critical mass.

I don't know what the answer is, because good editor support is not a fun problem for most people. I tried to use the Schemeway plugin on Eclipse and eventually gave up, because it was a one man project and my problems on Windows weren't getting fixed. It's been a long time and maybe it works now, but the strategic realities haven't changed. Eclipse means getting one's hands dirty with Java, and it's Kawa Scheme rather than Chicken Scheme, so that's another pull away from people's attention. Also I'm now into CMake and Eclipse is an Ant build culture. I seem to be stuck with a mishmash of tools and XEmacs is what passes for an editor lately. My knowledge of XEmacs from a programming standpoint is still decidedly primitive. I've used it as a glorified text editor, which is all that CMake requires. I"ve got a CMake mode, it colorizes stuff, but it doesn't add any value to my work.

I think I'll take a poke at the XEmacs website and see if there are any capabilities or 3rd party elisps I haven't noticed.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every