Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in new numbers.egg dependencies

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bug in new numbers.egg dependencies
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 18:58:41 -0400

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> The problem is that we would have to look into each egg (tarball or dir)
> in the current directory to figure out the dependencies. Or, if you run
> chicken-setup inside an egg-dir, it would essentially have to search on
> level higher. Hm... difficult.

Not each egg, just each egg that's needed.  Here's the idea:

1) If the egg is not available locally, download it.  Use the repository
only to find the egg.

2) Unpack the egg but do not enter the egg directory yet.

3) Take a quick look at the setup file.  If there are uninstalled
dependencies, call ourselves recursively to install them.

4) Enter the egg directory and obey the setup file.

Alternatively, the dependencies could be listed in a separate file within
the egg called <eggname>.depend instead of in the setup file.

--
Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
of the Open Source movement.                    address@hidden