Re: [Chicken-users] building only from .c files

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] building only from .c files
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:03:58 +0200

On 9/5/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

And now they're done, in Darcs.

Excellent.

Two perceived reasons for building only from .c files:

- someone may need to cross-compile
- someone may be unable to get a bootstrapped chicken to compile .scm to .c

I have serious reservations about the latter reason.  Part of the point
of getting people to build from sources, is to test the build.  If we
aren't actually exercising the .scm to .c part of the build, then that's
a way for build problems to develop.  We want users to see build
problems and report them to us, so that we can fix them.  Granted, if we
start distributing binaries for multiple platforms, then we won't get
the benefit of in-field build testing.  It would be down to just Felix's
build environment and my build environment, either of which could
develop probelms, flake, or go belly up.  I think if we start
distributing binaries, and aren't getting any in-field build testing,
then we need to implement a regular nightly build.

Yes, this is understandable.

So, let's say cross-compilation isn't for official Windows builds.
Maybe it's Unix-Unix cross-compilation or something.  Who needs to do
it?  What are the requirements?

With cross compilation, I currently am strictly speaking about Linux
and it will probably use autotools for the time being, as unfortunate
as that is. I work in an embedded systems company, Linux based,
and Scheme would make an *excellent* application development
language, much better than anything that is currently used.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp