Re: [Chicken-users] Comparative build speed for CMake and autotools

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Comparative build speed for CMake and autotools
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:40:10 -0700

John Cowan wrote:
So CMake is very much the winner, probably because ./configure is doing
unnecessary tests.

Yes, Autoconf is very bloated in this regard. Those extra tests aren't specified by us in configure.in, they're just what Autoconf does.

Also, autoconf is doing them twice. Once when you type ./configure and once again when you type "make." I'm not sure why it has that behavior. Possibly it is due to BUILT_SOURCES, but I do think chicken-defaults.h has to get built before other stuff. If one is motivated, one could experiment with whether there's a better way to specify the chicken-defaults.h dependency. What I have in Darcs works though, and I won't be prioritizing such things from here on out. I'm not interested in sitting around perfecting the Autoconf build. I'd rather that energy go to the CMake build, or to new features.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every