Re: [Chicken-users] optimization flags

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] optimization flags
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 00:32:07 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 9/7/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

For instance, Felix has this
"-Os" philosophy, that optimizing for size yields the best performance. I'd like to see hard evidence of that. I certainly don't take it on faith, or
on principles.

Brandon,

Do you think I'm just doing this out of a spontaneous mood? Do you think I
haven't tested this? Yes, I'm sometimes susceptive to haphazard design
decisions, but can't you just trust me on this? (Or, alternatively, read the
mailing list archives).

I made my early career on low-level ASM optimizations, on the DEC Alpha, the best CPU on the planet at the time. I competed on benchmarks for a living. I've also done plenty of x86 ASM work. The reason I say, "I don't know," is because I've never studied the caching behavior of garbage collectors. If that weren't in the picture, if it were just straight line looping code, I *do* know. Optimizing for size is not how things get faster at the CPU instruction level. I freely admit that garbage collectors may be an arena where memory footprint wins over CPU instruction cycles. But generally it's the footprint of the data cache that matters, not the instruction cache. Which is why you pad the instructions to get the alignment to get the fastest CPU cycles. But then again, you're doing all sorts of weird things in your Scheme-to-C compilation that I don't know about, so maybe instruction size does matter. Maybe maybe maybe.

Your benchmarking decisions about the stack size were completely wrong, both in their sampling rate (average of 3 samples?!?), and how they were incorporated into the build regime (user doesn't know he's benchmarking, checks his e-mail.) So no, I do not quite trust your benchmarking methodologies. I do not expect that you made things up about -Os, I imagine you tested it somehow. But, you may have undersampled it. But, I have not read the archives, nor am I going to read them at this time. Proving benchmark optimizations is a lot of work, something I'm not prepared to touch for quite awhile. I went bankrupt on premature optimization, to the tune of $82K of debt. It was a hard lesson, and in terms of quality of life I'm still paying for it. When I have a game that's not fast enough, then I'll worry about rigorous benchmarks.

Every elite optimization jock thinks he knows better than the next one, so don't take it personally. :-)

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every