Re: [Chicken-users] optimization flags

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] optimization flags
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:59:22 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> I'm only providing the flags for GCC builds.  I'm not willing to assume
> that non-GCC compilers take GCC flags.  If people have non-GCC, non-MSVC
> compilers, they can inform us, and we can add more flags.  I might also
> set up an area at the top of CMakeLists.txt that's meant for people to
> add flags we don't know about.

Fair enough.

> I found that -fomit-frame-pointer causes chicken-boot to crash when
> compiled with MinGW 3.4.5.  So, I've turned it off for all MinGW
> compilers.  No idea if it affects anything other than 3.4.5.  You can
> see that there are testing issues.  Cygwin built fine without
> complaint.  Didn't actually test the end product though, as I relish the
> chance to blow up John Cowan's machine.  :-)

Ooops!  VERY BAD PROBLEM.

When built under CMake (but not when built under autotools), the
chicken-setup.c file produces compiler errors from gcc.  I'm using the
autotools build for the present.

Diffing the two versions of chicken-setup.c show
only two presumably trivial differences: some comments refer to
/opt/chicken/darcs/chicken-setup.scm instead of just chicken-setup.scm,
and the ptable declaration at line 22369 contains strings of
the form "f_nnnn/opt/chicken/darcs/chicken-setup.scm" instead of
"f_nnnnchicken-setup.scm".

I've attached the chicken-config.h and chicken-defaults.h files
from the CMake build.

--
Your worships will perhaps be thinking          John Cowan
that it is an easy thing to blow up a dog?      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan