Re: [Chicken-users] FWIW - real numbers for -Os vs. -O3 on a Mac G4

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] FWIW - real numbers for -Os vs. -O3 on a Mac G4
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 05:09:01 +0200

On 9/7/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

 They should know what?  Your benchmarks indicate that -O3 is a hair faster
than -Os.  As you said above, the -Os binaries are a hair smaller.  What do
people value, things being a hair faster or a hair smaller?  I do know that
10% size reductions don't sell anything, whereas little improvements in
performance can edge out competitors in Shootout benchmarks.

The chicken libraries and binaries are a good deal smaller with -Os (the size
improvements of micro-benchmarks are not so important here).

Anyway, this will my last post about this issue.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp