Re: [Chicken-users] CMake problem on Linux should be solved

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CMake problem on Linux should be solved
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:37:06 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> >Actually, it does matter to us whether you or Brandon are getting burned
> >out: it would be a huge job to take over supporting even the CMake build
> >from zero,
>
> Actually I don't agree.  I didn't do the "write obscure code so that I
> remain invaluable" thing, I did rather the opposite.  :-)  The CMake
> build is currently feature complete, and it's MIT licensed, so you
> simply can't start "from zero."

It would be understanding and support that would have to start from zero,
not coding.  And FLOSSfolk have seen repeatedly that unless there's
a maintainer, people stay away from projects, because of the often
well-founded suspicion that nobody knows what's going on.

> Yes, that matters.  My strategic thought has been, it's BSD licensed
> code, and I do have an interest in writing compilers.  So maybe 2 years
> from now, I'll know the implementation well enough that in the worst
> case, it won't matter to me what Felix is doing.  Right now I'd be toast
> though.  Chicken *is* fully understandable by 1 person.

The question is, is there anyone who has both the motivation and the
time?  I don't hear anyone, so that's why your and Felix's state of
mind both matter.

--
No,  John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan