Re: [Chicken-users] Bizarre chicken build/segfault problem

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Bizarre chicken build/segfault problem
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:15:22 +0200

On 9/11/06, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

The reason I'm posting here is that there is one thing that baffles me:
When running a backtrace with GDB, it tells me the error occurs in a
function in lookup-table.c.  But I can't find this file (or
lookup-table.scm) anywhere!

Hi, Peter!

lookup-table.c is one source file of the lookup-table egg. The .c files
are installed together with a compiled extension.

The reason for the crash seems to be egg-dependency issues.
I could reproduce a crash that looks quite like your crash:
misc-extn defines a special unsafe define-record-type variant,
but it is not installed early enough to be available, and is treated
like a procedure call.

The problem is indirect egg-dependencies. One also runs into
various problems when doing a "chicken-setup srfi-19" on a clean
system, for example. This needs a lot of eggs and since chicken-setup
doesn't handle indirect dependencies, they are installed in the wrong
order, or not at all.

To fix your problem, install eggs one after the other., at least
silex, miscmacros, misc-extn (since they provide syntax).

I'm totally aware that chicken-setup has to handle this, but for the time
being, all egg authors, please note the following:

LIST ALL (that is: "A-L-L") DIRECTLY AND _INDIRECTLY_ USED EXTENSIONS
IN YOUR *.META FILES!!!

Thank you.
The Management.

--