Re: [Chicken-users] understanding the CMake build

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] understanding the CMake build
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:37:15 -0700

Thomas Chust wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

[...] Seems pretty important if removing the bootstrap compiler toasts the installation. [...]

Hello,

removing the bootstrap compiler only toasts the installed chicken-static and csi-static, not chicken and csi. And so far I have *never* had a reason to use csi-static or chicken-static. Generating a static executable works just as well using chicken as there should be no difference whatsoever between the output of chicken-static and chicken. Whether the resulting executable will be (able to be) linked statically or dynamically depends exclusively on the C compiler and linker flags.

I think William Hoffman just told me that the dynamic-static linkage snafu is a CMake problem affecting all platforms. I'm waiting for confirmation on that.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every