Re: [Chicken-users] status of the cmake build on win32

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] status of the cmake build on win32
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:48:13 -0700

felix winkelmann wrote:
Hello!

I have successfully built and run the currentl development version
in Win98 with MSVC 6.0.

I'm able to build and install the current Darcs head, using MSVC 7.1.

A few things that should be noted:

- The library-suffixes used for debug/release/... versions of libchicken
 are not such a good idea, dynamic loading of extensions requires
 a distinct name when refering to the runtime library. I had to set
 the build-type to none (previously I used Debug, which resulted in
 a linker error).

All MSVC libraries have *.lib as their suffix, whether it's debug, release, static, or a dynamic stub. These need to be disambiguated somehow for various purposes. Postfixes is one way; installing them to distinct directories is another. Either way, Chicken has to know how to do something that it is not currently doing. So what way do you think would be easiest to implement and support? A lot of MSVC developers do prefer the directory approach, but this also contributes to "DLL Hell" and directory selection errors. Boost doesn't think it's a good practice and explicitly names libraries with all sorts of postfixes for all the different permutations. I think Boost has the right idea as far as "industrial strength" programming goes.

- make uninstall seems to be ineffective.

Hrm. On my Windows 2000 box, it seems to be partly effective, but leaves a lot of stuff behind.

chicken-setup works fine, but since I don't have tar/gunzip on that
system, one has to download and extract the eggs manually.

This reminds me of the need to declare a canonical tar and canonical gunzip utility. The mailing list archives have some stuff about why this isn't straightforward. I'm too slammed to deal with this right now. Aside from a new job, judging for the Independent Games Festival has begun.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every