Re: [Chicken-users] Coming to Scheme from Python.

From: Steve Freitas
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Coming to Scheme from Python.
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:49:52 -0700

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 11:14 +0200, Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:
> Porting Termite will not exactly help here.  Termite (on gambit)
> allows you to manually transfer objects from host to host, where host
> is a OS process.  On multicore machines you still have to run one host
> per processor.  Then you would be left with *manually* controlling
> object transfer and distribution.

With a threading system, you're still, at some point in your code,
*manually* firing off new threads, so it's different work, not
necessarily more.

> Gambit-C, chicken, rscheme (I don't know about Java???) and many other
> user level threading systems simly share the problem: user mode
> threads are fast, but don't scale with multiple cores.

And that's why something like Termite makes so much sense. When you
institute immutables, and copy by value on function arguments, it makes
it easy to scale with multiple cores since you've eliminated most
potential concurrency bugs. So you run one host per core, and dispatch
the work. Have you look at Termite's syntax? It makes such things very,
very easy.

>   Usually that's
> a memory management issue (Felix should know) which doesn't go away by
> any amount of code in the language.  Needed is a n:m mapping from user
> level threads to system threads running the chicken VM (runtime).

If I'm understanding your suggested n:m mapping correctly, then Termite
makes it really simple to establish what you're asking for.

Steve