Re: [Chicken-users] Softscheme

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Softscheme
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:32:17 +0200

On 10/17/06, Carlos Pita <address@hidden> wrote:

I wonder if the softscheme egg improves performance of chicken
applications by removing unnecessary runtime type checks. I mean, aren't
the primitive operations type checked by themselves? For example, if
implementation of primitive + checks that its arguments are all numbers,
I would expect no performance gain from clever deductions of the soft
type checker for say (+ 2 3) (for the sake of the example suppose that +
is intended to add fixnums only, so no further examination of argument
types is needed once it's sure that they're between the expected ones).
What will do chicken scheme compiler in this case? Will it remove
superfluous type checks when the soft type checker provides enough
guarantees?

Softscheme is not integrated into Chicken, it is mainly intended as
a separate tool for analysing small bodies of code. The supported language
is rather minimal, and using it seriously would require a lot of type
declarations (via "st:deftype").

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp