Re: Re: Re: [Chicken-users] Numbers Egg Error

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Chicken-users] Numbers Egg Error
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:38:03 -0600

Josh,

I got the numbers egg to work on my MacBook Pro, running the same
environment as yours.

First, the configure flags you provided should in fact correctly
generate a dynamic library.  You omitted the version of GMP from your
report--I know that 4.2.1 is absolutely required, as is (probably) the
latest XCode tools.  I built a dynamic (and a static) library with the
command line you gave and the numbers egg linked in fine.

My original try didn't generate a dylib because I didn't specify
--enable-cxx.  Without this flag, bizarrely, shared libraries are not
built (even if you specify --enable-shared!)  Additionally, you must
specify --host=none-apple-darwin to turn off assembly, because there
is an assembly bug preventing shared library builds on x86 Macs.  [A
problem occurs with static libraries as well, but shows up during the
make check phase.]

Now for some good news.   Assuming you get the above working, it is
indeed possible to build a dynamic GMP library on MacIntel with nearly
all assembly active.  The compilation problem occurs in only two
files, so we can revert to the generic C files just for those.  I
adapted the instructions at
http://www.swox.com/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2006-July/002430.html:

tar jxvf gmp-4.2.1.tar.bz2
cd gmp-4.2.1
find mpn/x86 \( -name "dive_1.asm" -o -name "mode1o.asm" \) -print0 |
xargs -0 rm
./configure --enable-cxx
make
make check

Note that --enable-shared is implied by default (but remember,
--enable-cxx is required!).  I also added --disable-static when I
compiled it since I don't need the static libraries.