Re: [Chicken-users] eliminate the Chicken Windows binary distribution?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] eliminate the Chicken Windows binary distribution?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:31:49 -0800

Daishi Kato wrote:
Hi,

I guess it's still useful to keep the Windows binary distribution,
even if the installation path is fixed. Obviously, it should be noted
that the distribution is not intended to be real use, but just to try
Chicken to see how useful it is.
In that sense, the Windows binary distribution does not have to be
the latest release.

I am quite opposed to any Windows distribution falling behind any other Chicken distribution, whether binary or source. That would send a clear message that Windows support is second fiddle to Unix and not taken seriously.

This isn't good reasoning for keeping a Windows binary around. CMake provides excellent build support. A lot of work was done to make it excellent, and we intend to keep it that way. Offering a crufty binary installation instead of an excellent source build makes no sense. Why should a user be exposed to bad Windows support instead of good Windows support? It makes Chicken looks like it has bad Windows support, when in fact it has really good support now, if one uses the standard process for getting things going.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every