Re: [Chicken-users] chicken scheme on handhelds

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken scheme on handhelds
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:18:33 -0700

Good idea about the wiki.

The trouble is most handhelds don't have a compiler installed (they
tend to be short on flash).  So I run chicken in a chroot environment
on a CF card in the Zaurus.  (The chroot environment is Debian-arm.)

Ideally the Scheme compiler would run fast on a handheld, and just in
case it's not fast enough, it would also be possible to cross-compile
Scheme to an ARM binary, on a PC.  So far gcc is a tad slow on an ARM
(but not too terrible - I do actually use it; maybe it's like running
x86 gcc on a 386); and I don't think cross-compiling is practical, is
it?  If somebody ever finishes the ARM backend for tcc (a very fast C
compiler) we could use that on the handheld itself.  And you have to
be able to afford to actually install it on the handheld.  Later I
might work on getting chicken into OpenEmbedded, if that hasn't been
done yet, but I think I would have to leave out something else in
order to have enough space for chicken plus gcc and all of the libs.

I also want to try to do it on the OpenMoko phone (announced
yesterday) ASAP, but haven't figured out how to get one yet.

On 08 Nov 2006 12:17:18 -0200, Mario Domenech Goulart
<address@hidden> wrote:
Hello John,

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:53:46 +0000 john <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know there are one or two people out there playing around with
> Chicken on handheld devices like the Sharp Zaurus, Nokia 770 etc.
> Anyway, I have created a group on orkut (orkut.com) dedicated to this
> topic. If you have an orkut account and are interested, please come
> and join. If you need an orkut account let me know.

How about filling a wiki page with this topic? Maybe at the
"Tutorials" section for people getting started to Chicken on handhelds
or even a whole section about Chicken on handhelds?

I have a SL-5600 borrowed from a friend and an old version of Chicken
installed on it (got it from
http://www.mneuroth.de/privat/zaurus/chicken.html).  But I can't do
much with it, since I don't have a compiler installed and admitedly I
haven't invested much time on it.

I think a wiki section about Chicken on handhelds would be great.

Best wishes,
Mario