[Chicken-users] Re: Extensions for svnwiki

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: Extensions for svnwiki
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:57:27 +0100

On 11/9/06, Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey, Felix.

I've been thinking about svnwiki extensions and I've figured out that
the best way to handle them is probably through chicken-setup, as
regular extensions.  While most are rather simple, some could
eventually become sophisticated programs on their own.

However, they are probably only going to be interesting for users of
svnwiki as well as the stream-wiki egg.  As such, I'm afraid that they
could add some clutter to our official repository of eggs.  I don't
know if I should create a separate repository of chicken extensions
for these extensions.

What do you think I should do?   Should I go ahead and create them as
official eggs (I'd prefix them with ???svnwiki-???, except for those that
are also useful for the stream-wiki egg when used by itself, and I
would also make a ???extensions??? extension that allows other programs to
use extensions as svnwiki does)?  Or should I, instead, create a
separate repository and put them there?

I guess it boils down to whether we want the official chicken eggs
repository to hold as many extensions as possible, encompassing the
whole universe of (free software) chicken extensions (even though some
might be useful for a very little set of users) or if we want to keep
it relatively lean, only including "official" and generally useful
code, kinda warranteed to be working and stable.  I'd lean more for
the first option, but both options are fine to me.

I agree that making them proper eggs is the better way (as we
do for spiffy extensions, for example).

How many extensions are you talking about? You could either put
each extension into an egg (unless you have lots of them), or
you could group them together and put several (probably related ones)
into separate eggs. I think that's better than a separate repository.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp