Re: [Chicken-users] MORE EGGS!

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] MORE EGGS!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:31:52 -0800

Dan wrote:
... and since quantity quality doth not equal, how
about an egg rating system to bind them all?

What an egg is worth, depends mostly on whether it even works. Otherwise, there's not much basis for comparison. For instance, people may think XML manipulation is the best thing since sliced bread, but I personally could care less. Giving such an egg a "9" based on its intended functionality alone doesn't mean anything.

Since quality of maintenance is what's worth rating, how about the old bugaboo of automated nightly testing? I'm not feeling up to that myself right now, but if people have energy to throw away.... I mean, if the idea of rating eggs was meant to be taken at all seriously, people could either be wasting time evaluating them on some calendrical schedule, or they could be assisting the development of automated testing infrastructure. The latter would get a lot more done for the same trouble.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every