Re: [Chicken-users] Darcs hangs?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Darcs hangs?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:50:11 +0100

On 29 Nov 2006 13:31:17 +0100, Thomas Hafner <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

in the Darcs FAQ I've found this question:
Q: When I try to push/pull/apply, darcs just hangs... why?

Has that already happened when managing Chicken source code?

Not that I know of, even though it can take pretty long sometimes.
IIRC there are certain cases when complicated merges take O(n!) time,
which is simply caused by the underlying model darcs uses and for which
there is no solution known. The flexibility darcs provides has its cost.

I'm thinking about using Darcs, but I've no feeling how severe/often
the problem really is.

For small repositories darcs is just great - extremely easy to use and very
intelligent. But it's absolutely unusable for large repositories in my
experience.
It just doesn't scale that well.

http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp