Re: [Chicken-users] New user; egg problems

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New user; egg problems
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:31:58 -0500

    Well, I am not the maintainer for the Debian Chicken package, so I
don't know. But unless the more recent versions of Chicken depend on
libraries or library versions that are not present in Debian, it's
probably not that difficult. Actually, the real problem here would be
that the Debian release cycle takes about a year, and once a Debian
stable release comes out, the packages in it may not be upgraded,
except for security-related patches. So whatever version of Chicken
you pick, you are stuck with it for a year -- which is not at all
unreasonable from a release manager's point of view. Debian stable is
"stable" because it provides a consistent and well-tested environment,
even if it doesn't have all the bleeding edge software. That's why I
think that if developers can rely on some support for older Chicken
releases, this will contribute greatly to the usefulness of Chicken
for software in mainstream Linux distributions.

    -Ivan