Re: [Chicken-users] Msys install and "\"

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Msys install and "\"
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 19:40:44 -0800

Matthew David Parker wrote:
I'm trying to install chicken-2.5 on windows in MSYS.

I tried using cmakeSetup to make MSYS makefiles, and then I compiled them
from within MSYS by typing "make" and "make install".  I had it install
to /bin within msys.  For some reason, the binaries don't seem to read any
command-line arguments.

Bad idea to use /bin or /usr/bin as they're reserved for binaries linked with the MSYS runtime. Please try /usr/local/bin instead. I don't know that it'll solve your problem, but it's worth a try.

I typically install to E:\Program Files\Chicken . Then I typically use a Windows Command Prompt, not a MSYS shell. So it's possible that we've missed something. You can certainly put E:\Program Files\Chicken in your Windows PATH, before you even start MSYS. I don't know, however, if there are general problems of operation under MSYS.

For instance, I try:

$ csc test.ss
csc: no source files specified

The commands work ok if I run them in the regular windows terminal, but I
want to run them in MSYS so that I can use all my other libraries I've
installed in MSYS.

So, I tried compiling chicken using the regular ./configure script.  That
compiled ok, and these binaries can read the command-line arguments, so
they are almost exactly what I want.  However, for some reason chicken
uses a "\" instead of a "/" for the last slash when it runs some other
chicken command.

Like, if I run csc on a test file, it will try to run chicken, but it will
try to run the command:

/usr/local/bin\chicken

Which it cannot find, so it fails.  Is there some way I can get chicken to
do a "/" instead?

It's probably in the sources and it's probably not smart enough about compilers vs. shells. The shell we built with, definitely doesn't have to be the same as the shell we're currently using.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every