Re: [Chicken-users] any Windows Emacs haters here?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] any Windows Emacs haters here?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:34:09 -0800

Matthew Welland wrote:
Hmmm... xemacs on cygwin seems to work great for me. The only crash I get is if I try to cut a hugh buffer (20-50 meg worth of data). Xemacs never seems to come back and I kill it. Perhaps I don't push it as hard as you do

I'm using XEmacs native, not the Cygwin version. Its Find crashes frequently, it's a real turkey. I'm editing modestly sized files like you see in Chicken.

I'm curious can MinGW coexist peacefully with Cygwin or is there substantial setup hassle?

Yes, it's easy enough to keep them isolated as long as you don't put stuff in your Windows system path. I have to keep MinGW, Cygwin, and Visual Studio builds separate from each other. Generally I just have .bat or .cmd files that start the shells with the environment I want. I only have things on my Windows system path that really should be visible in all the environments, like SciTE for instance. SDKs, libraries, and various tools don't belong there. Yes, there's some manual labor hassle in setting all that up, but it's not bad, and worth it if your job is to keep CMake builds running smoothly on 3 compilers.

When I actually use Chicken, I use the MinGW build, and I install it to E:\Program Files\Chicken. When I'm just testing and installing various Chickens, I put them in E:\Chicken\buildtoolname\compiler\version. Someday, I'd like to see that kind of partitioning of versions in the Chicken installation proper. Much as MinGW has subdirectories for the particular version of the compiler being used. But it's not an issue that currently affects many people, and it's tedious to implement, so it remains a nice thought for somewhere down the road.

The problem with Eclipse is it tries to be too clever. Somehow it goes searching the registry or typical directories or something. It finds Cygwin, doesn't realize I'm asking it to deal with MinGW, and barfs. I take it not a lot of people are doing double MinGW / Cygwin installations on Eclipse, and it just hasn't got that logic worked out yet.

The other problem with Eclipse is it's this huge Java thing. I am much more in favor of small C or C++ things, as SciTE is. I don't know Java, and I don't really want to know Java. I may not like C++ but I do know it, and Chicken can talk to it to some degree, so modding an editor written in C++ is a lot more doable.

My gripe is with chicken - 2.5 seems to have broken eggs on cygwin and debian and I don't have time to figure it out and in the process of trying 2.5 I broke my older install. Grumble. I should have used stow or similar. I'll get back to it next year :-)

That's an argument for automated test suites and nightly builds, but nobody's said they've got the energy to do it.

Update: After writing the above I thought I'd take another look. Now on linux at least everything seems to be working fine. I had to:

0. Clear out /usr/local/lib/chicken

That's an argument for versioned directories.

1. Comment out the (use 'readline) stuff from my .csirc
2. Manually install easyffi before installing readline

Cygwin still doesn't seem to work, I get Error unbound variable and then a bunch of glyphs. I'll try again later.

Lately I've only built Chicken, haven't really used it much. Had to find a decent editor so I could get some work done....

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every