Re: [Chicken-users] Re: any Windows Emacs haters here?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: any Windows Emacs haters here?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:14:56 -0800

Reed Sheridan wrote:
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <address@hidden>

But that's what's ridiculous about XEmacs.  It should be doing that
correctly out of the box.  I don't mean it doesn't indent the way I
want.  I mean it doesn't indent at all.  Throwing "a day" at things is
the whole mentality of Emacs that I think sucks.  It's forever broken,
there's always some new bit of the docs you've gotta futz with.  It's
just a big bloated ancient application with a lot of hair.

You use C-j if you want to indent by default in emacs.

Thank you for the help on that. I suppose if I plugged myself into a forum of XEmacs users and asked questions, I might get farther. I've found these sorts of things to be tedious to RTFM or Google about. I object to the general culture of configurations, complications, delays, and keystroke memorabilia. They've wasted a lot of my time.

You can make
return behave the same way by putting this in your .emacs:
(global-set-key "\r" 'newline-and-indent).

Both XEmacs and SciTE have menu entries for editing your own configuration file. Now, why has it been easier to configure SciTE, so far? Perhaps because there's only 1 long web page for a help file. Perhaps because configuration is just setting a variable to some value, rather than being a more general-purpose coding interface. Perhaps I just got lucky on my Google searching and the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Your point is taken about the silly, inconvenient way that emacs works
out of the box.  But you can just look at other people's .emacs and
quickly find the common customizations that most people would want.

I dispute "quickly."  Too much Google time, generally speaking.

http://www.dotfiles.com/index.php?app_id=6

I've bookmarked this, thanks.

Once you get the common things working, which isn't too bad if you
slurp customizations from other people, you can choose how much time
you want to spend futzing with docs.  If you use Emacs like it was
Microsoft Notepad, you'll never look at another doc.  If you become an
elisp guru, you could spend your whole life messing with emacs.

CMake only required Notepad-like functionality. C development requires more configuration. Scheme-to-C, still more.

I've discovered Scintilla / SciTE.

Everything you've mentioned wanting here (support for C++, first-class
support for Scheme, and at least some support for CMake) are already
available for Emacs.  I would be amazed if hacking 1 or 2 of those
into  some other editor didn't take a hell of a lot longer than
configuring Emacs.

Except that SciTE already has a large support community, support for many languages, etc.

Sorry for the OT blathering,

I'm not! "What editor should I use?" is a question that comes up over and over again.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every