Re: [Chicken-users] Msys install and "\"

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Msys install and "\"
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:46:00 -0800

Matthew David Parker wrote:
Well, I actually just wrote that wrong, it's installed to /usr/local/bin

The reason why I don't want it in C:\program files\chicken is because I
have everything else I need for my project installed in msys, such as SDL
and all its varients.

The autoconf setup in msys works very well, except for making the "\" when
it should be "/".  Shouldn't there be some way to change this in the
configure script?

I'm not going to get into the business of understanding and improving the autoconf scripts any more than I already have. They are legacy. I want you to use CMake.

We would certainly take a patch to the configure script, if you can figure out what's wrong with it. We'd even take, "here's what's wrong, here's how you fix it" as opposed to a formal patch.

I'm much more motivated to address CMake problems on MSYS. However, I'm unable to reproduce your problem. Using my CMake MSYS shell:

PATH='.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/bin:/e/Program Files/Chicken/bin:/e/Program F iles/CMake 2.4/bin:/e/Tcl/bin:/e/WINNT/system32:/e/WINNT:/e/WINNT/System32/Wbem: /e/Program Files/darcsdir-w32:/e/Program Files/wscite:/e/Program Files/Astyle/bi n:/e/Program Files/XEmacs/XEmacs-21.4.19/i586-pc-win32:/e/Program Files/cvsnt:/e /Python24:/e/Perl/bin:/e/GnuWin32/bin:/e/sbcl/0.9.12/bin:/e/Program Files/QuickT ime/QTSystem/:/e/devel/src/glew/lib:.:/e/Program Files/CMake 2.4/bin:/e/Program
Files/darcsdir-w32'

Brandon J. Van address@hidden ~
$ csc x.scm

Brandon J. Van address@hidden ~
$ ls x.*
x.exe  x.scm

However, that may not be the end of it. I use a non-standard MSYS shell, from the mingw-install project. http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-install Once upon a time, I found autoconf support so abysmal in the standard MSYS installation, that I dumped it and went with this other guy's packaging, which actually works. Reading the MSYS archives, they're actually very lazy / hostile about Autoconf support. Which surprised me, because I thought one of the main points of MSYS was to run Autoconf. Apparently not!

My x.scm is attached. Please send me your test.ss, on the slight chance that the problem is file dependent.

I will try installing a Chicken to /usr/local/bin and see if that gives me any problems. Meanwhile, please install a CMake version to C:\Program Files\Chicken, put C:\Program Files\Chicken\bin in your PATH, and see if that solves your problems.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

(print 123)