[Chicken-users] Integrating unit tests into source code

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-users] Integrating unit tests into source code
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 10:51:46 +0100

Hi!

While reading a bit about "doctest" (the Python utility), I thought
it would be relatively easy to support embedded documentation
in definitions, like:

(define (foo ...)

The basic idea is to extend the idea of Lisp/Scheme docstrings
(a string as the first form inside a procedure, when the body
has more than one expression) to doc-sexprs.
So one could embed test-cases directly in the code, in a backwards-
and R5RS-compatible way.

It's no big deal to extend the compiler to extract this info. What I'm
looking for is ideas about the exact mechanism, the syntax, etc.

Pointless or useful?