Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Integrating unit tests into source code

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Re: Integrating unit tests into source code
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:10:10 +0100

Hi!

> >  Also, I think the legal issues would be complicated.
>
> No, it is not complicated at all.  The only way it can be complicated,
> is if you're not writing your own new BSD code, but stealing the LGPL
> code.

It can be a problem for those who want the liberties which the BSD licence
provides, but the LGPL doesn't.

> Not the same issue.  Here, the issue is proprietary code polluting BSD
> code.  Whereas the FSF is *never* going to sue anyone for modifying LGPL
> code.  That's what they *want* people to do, it's what they *believe*
> in.  They're only gonna sue if you copy LGPL code and don't license it LGPL.

Note that the FSF is not the only LGPL copyright holder on this planet.
Other LGPL copyright holders do not necessarily share the goals and
believes of the FSF. However, it is still very unlikely that anyone will
be sued for using LPGLed code while reimplementing its functionality.

> Well, you could be a MacOS
> guy I suppose, which from a UI standpoint is a helluva lot better than
> being a Unix guy.

Yeah, you are right, the ``Worse is better'' paper is also applicable in
the UI world.

> Ah well.  Technology sucks, and then you die.

It is indeed easier to blame technology than to blame yourself.

Groetjes,
Peter.