Re: [Chicken-users] String compression?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] String compression?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:41:30 +0100

On 12/22/06, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:

Looking forward to the compress/decompress-the-whole-buffer routines, Felix :-)

I have implemented them with the encoding loop being written in C
(not committed yet), but didn't get much improvement. As Zbigniew
reported GC time itself isn't such a big problem after all (one of my
typical first shots - as usual way off...), even though running the benchmark
with a fixed heap will be noticable faster.

I can only assume that tweaking the compresssion parameters should
give some improvement. z3lib is known to be slightly slower than gzip,
but not by this amount. Unfortunately the author (which usually sits
in the same office as me) has his day off, so it might take a few days
before I can obtain better settings.