Re: [Chicken-users] Minor issue with spiffy's sxml->html

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Minor issue with spiffy's sxml->html
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:07:28 -0600

The default HTML generator in the SSAX tools prepends a newline to
open tags, rather than appending one to close tags.  This results in
subtly different behavior which fixes your specific issue.

For sxml-transforms I extended the generator to omit newlines for
inline tags (a, b, i, etc.).  This prevents extraneous whitespace from
being inserted into the HTML, which can cause unwanted spaces in the
rendered output.

It would probably be easy to update Spiffy to do this; you could snarf
the code from sxml-transforms/chicken/xhtml.scm.

On 12/28/06, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 11:45:00PM +0900, Peter Wright wrote:

> After testing it a bit, it looks like any HTML generated via
> sxml->html will have all close tag(s) followed by end-of-line
> character(s).
>
> Does anyone know of a way to disable this behaviour? I was about to
> dive in and investigate the sxml->html source code directly, but
> thought it might be a bit more sensible to ask for help/advice first. :)

The SXML->HTML in spiffy is a hack.  You probably want the SXML->HTML
functionality from the sxml-transforms egg.  Why SXML->HTML was reimplemented
in Spiffy, I do not know.  Felix?

Regards,
Peter