Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:17:18 +0100

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:07:31PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> If I were making the decisions on such things, I would drop Subversion
> support and force people to use / learn Darcs.  I'd provide a HOWTO, of
> course.

I'm not using Darcs this lifetime, at least as long as it has a ghc
dependency.  If you use a slightly odd platform (in my case, NetBSD/macppc
and NetBSD/amd64) where the ghc guys don't build binaries for, they require
you to get ghc sources, a ghc binary for the same architecture but another
OS, build intermediate C files specifically for that architecture
(yes, their generated C code is architecture-dependent!), move the source
tree to the target OS and compile it.

This also means it can't be easily packaged with automated packaging systems,
and I have to do this every time I need to update ghc to a new version for
any architecture they don't care to provide binaries for.

I don't like having to jump through hoops, especially not to build a
frickin' compiler just to get some source control program on my system.
(besides, I don't even have another OS on both computers, nor access to
 one that does)  I'll just use svn (or any one of the many other source
control systems out there, distributed or not), thanks very much.

Regards,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx