Re: [Chicken-users] Using c code from interpreted code

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Using c code from interpreted code
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:12:36 -0800

<snip>

In general there is never a reason to use the inline egg. (It is very
nifty but for your purpose overkill.) In fact the easiest way to
access a "foreign" library from Chicken is to use SWIG.
Ok for not using inline.
For SWIG, I agree it might be the easiest way but I'm not sure I like it. I used it for writing opengl and glut bindings for ruby and it generated
more code than hand written bindings.

Yes.

It makes me wonder another thing : with chicken, we wrap c code in scheme (either the whole code, or only call to c functions) but in ruby, we makes the bindings from the c side, up to ruby (i.e. we write c code that corresponds to
the way ruby is implemented). Although I prefer the chicken way (and
don't see any reason to want to not do so), is-it possible to do
the other way ?

Sort of. There is no support for it. See runtime.c & chicken.h in the Chicken source.

There is support for calling compiled Scheme from C though. C->Scheme- >C->... is possible. Chicken is a compiler & libraries so it can be used in an embedded fashion.

Thank you,
mt