[Chicken-users] Mac OS X: chicken-setup's access to fink-installed libra

From: Stephen C. Gilardi
Subject: [Chicken-users] Mac OS X: chicken-setup's access to fink-installed libraries
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:20:50 -0500

I use Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) to access ports of many packages to Mac OS X. Fink stores the software it installs in the "/ sw" tree (/sw/include, /sw/lib, etc).

Currently it appears that chicken-2.5 (in particular chicken-setup) doesn't know about "/sw" as a hierarchy (fair enough) and also doesn't provide a way for me to configure additional search paths so I can tell it (could be better).

It would be great if:

        "sudo chicken-setup numbers"

worked on a Mac when the "gmp" library is installed via fink at /sw/ lib. Instead it gives compilation errors related to not being able to find "gmp.h":

% sudo chicken-setup numbers
Password:

The extension numbers does not exist.
Do you want to download it ? (yes/no/abort) [yes]
downloading catalog ...
downloading catalog from www.call-with-current-continuation.org ...
downloading numbers.egg from (www.call-with-current-continuation.org eggs 80)
  gunzip -c ../numbers.egg | tar xf -
/usr/local/bin/csc -feature compiling-extension -s -O2 -d1 numbers- base.scm -lgmp -X easyffi
In file included from numbers-base.c:18:
numbers-c.c:4:17: error: gmp.h: No such file or directory
[...]

% locate gmp.h
[...]
/sw/include/gmp.h

%

Questions:

[1] Is there a way to configure chicken to provide additional library search paths (and include file search paths)?

[2] Alternatively, can chicken be made to know that on Mac OS X (Darwin), if "/sw" exists, it's a place to find libraries and include files?

Thanks,

--Steve