Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages

From: Harri Haataja
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:26:21 +0200

On 12/01/07, Peter Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:56:56PM +0200, Harri Haataja wrote:
> Getting a friendly maintainer on the "inside" (a Debian developer, for
> example) is probably a more reliable approach.

If Debian or any other distribution likes to use the Adamantix packages,
then that is fine of course. It is after all free software.

Integrating these packages in Debian means that only Debian users
benefit from this effort. My idea is to support as many distributions as
possible, not only Debian. That way this effort benefits users of Adamantix,
Ubuntu, Progeny, Knoppix, etc., etc. as well, not just users of Debian. And
it has the following advantages for Chicken users:

But sadly many of those may have a completely different (and possibly
ancient) version in themselves that the installer and possibly the
packager has to work around or clash with.
I agree (still) that the effort in adamantix is excellent. It would be
great if that could be the upstream or a complete sync into all the
mentioned distros' package collections.

This effort makes it easier and more reliable to:

  - To distribute Chicken applications (the same infrastructure can be
    used).
!

This has really been my point from the start. Being able to make
something depend on chicken and suitable eggs in much the same way as
you can do on so many other language runtimes. You can do ad hoc
bundling (tarballs, binary packages without a clean build), but can
not really fit them into strongly managed systems.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right