Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:43:53 +0100

Hi!

> >Integrating these packages in Debian means that only Debian users
> >benefit from this effort. My idea is to support as many distributions as
> >possible, not only Debian. That way this effort benefits users of
> >Adamantix,
> >Ubuntu, Progeny, Knoppix, etc., etc. as well, not just users of Debian. And
> >it has the following advantages for Chicken users:
>
> But sadly many of those may have a completely different (and possibly
> ancient) version in themselves that the installer and possibly the
> packager has to work around or clash with.

Really, it is much simpler than you are suggesting. I will take
Adamantix source packages and recompile them to binary packages for Debian
Sarge, Debian Etch, Ubuntu Edgy, etc. That means that it will Just Work
<tm>. If you have installed an old version of Chicken in Debian Sarge, then
it will be replaced by the newer version from the Sarge repository on the
Adamantix site. And you will have access to all the other packages as
well.

So there won't be any conflicts. Not with the installer not with the
packaging tools. And if there are conflicts, then they should (and will)
be solved.

All you have to do is to add another line to /etc/apt/sources.list and then
apt-get update. That's all there is to it! APT is really good at handling
multiple repositories.

> I agree (still) that the effort in adamantix is excellent. It would be
> great if that could be the upstream or a complete sync into all the
> mentioned distros' package collections.

That would be great yes. If you know people who are willing to upload
the stuff to DEB based distributions, then please let me know. I would
be happy to assist them when I'm ready.

> >This effort makes it easier and more reliable to:
>
> >  - To distribute Chicken applications (the same infrastructure can be
> >    used).
> !
>
> This has really been my point from the start. Being able to make
> something depend on chicken and suitable eggs in much the same way as
> you can do on so many other language runtimes. You can do ad hoc
> bundling (tarballs, binary packages without a clean build), but can
> not really fit them into strongly managed systems.

Great! In that case we both want the same thing.

Groetjes,
Peter.