Re: [Chicken-users] Can't get exit values of (process...)?

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Can't get exit values of (process...)?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:21:12 -0600

On 1/17/07, John Cowan <address@hidden> wrote:
> What do people think?  Should the wait() be removed from process?

Yes, I'd say so; it's not hard to insert a call to "wait" right after
closing the input port.

Note that Perl behaves this way w/r/t bi-directional pipes as well,
requiring an explicit waitpid after the open2() call, for what it's
worth.  It also recommends you be very careful with open2() and to
consider using a pty instead.

I received a reply off-list (perhaps unintentionally so) suggesting a
wait? parameter be added to process to avoid manually calling wait().
I think that's exactly what osprocess is for, though.  Automatic
waiting is present for unidirectional pipes because it makes clear
semantic sense.