Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken 2.514 with VS 2005 Professional han

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Building Chicken 2.514 with VS 2005 Professional hangs
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:37:29 +0100

On 1/23/07, Daniel Sadilek <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

after having problems building the mysql-egg with mingw (that's
another story) I thought I give the Visual Studio build a try. What I
did

Download and extract latest dev-snapshot.
Run CMake and select VS 8 (2005) as target.
Open the generated "Chicken.sln".
Right click on ALL_BUILD and select "Generate".

The build runs for some seconds but then hangs in "Compiling
C:/src/chicken-2.514-msvc/utils.scm to
C:/src/chicken-2.514-msvc/utils.c Exporting
C:/src/chicken-2.514-msvc/utils.exports".

I have no idea what to do. The build should work fine, shouldn't it?

Yes, it should work fine. We have found this behaviour more than once.
Somehow the chicken-boot executable built via cmake hangs when
compiling particular files. But it is built correclty and it happens with
various source files. I assume that the cmake build triggers some compiler-
or runtime-system bug.

You can try to pass additional compiler flags by editing CMakeLists.txt to
chicken-boot. For example "-:d". This will show some debugging info and
may even may make the build succeed.

I don't know how to fix this. If it is possible for you to reproduce the problem
with a chicken-boot executable that has been compiled with debugging
info, we may try to investigate the hang by running chicken-boot in the
debugger.