Re: [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] other leading Schemes
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 23:41:06 -0800

Shawn Rutledge wrote:

The end-users didn't know or care what language it was written in - it
was just a Windows .exe file that happened to put up a funky-looking
UI.  :-)

If there were a nice portable (Windows, X/GTK or QT, MacOS) widget
library that isn't a hassle to use, I'd use Scheme in my present job
too, for a couple of simple internal-use-only applications that need
to be written one of these days.  I would want the same result - be
able to make a standalone .exe on Windows.  Using native widgets on
each OS would be a plus, too.

T'would be nice. There's this basic problem of infrastructure though. Not enough people have gotten themselves into a position where they can choose any language they want. Even fewer are going to take the time to create cross-platform GUI toolkits, once having gotten to that place. It's easy to see why languages such as Scheme get stuck in the "binding to other languages' libraries" problem. Too much work to do everything all over again in an unpopular language.

On the bright side, binding to some extant C GUI is within the realm of the doable, for those interested.

On the negative side, it almost never ends up being of interest to me personally, because the GUIs always have bad OpenGL support. Games also don't need the elaborate GUIs that other apps do. Periodically I find myself looking around at widget libraries. Invariably I find bad or nonexistent OpenGL support. I am also reminded how boring widgets actually are. If an inventory of community skills caused 3..5 "GUI guys" to get together and do something, then it would be a win. I'm realizing a further problem with the inventory idea though. It's not enough to get people with similar skills and interests in contact with each other. There also has to be leadership. No leadership, no project actually happens.

I don't know what can be said about the problem of leadership. I can lead a build engineering effort. I can lead a 3D engine effort. I can lead a community skills inventorying effort. But the number of things I can personally lead is finite. This is true of anyone. Leadership is a scarce resource.

It's fair to say that open source is driven by leadership. Someone decides there's something they want done. The only successful projects, are the ones where 1 key person toughs it out initially to make it happen. Someone who is bound and determined. Then it's possible for others to amplify their efforts. But first it takes that 1 person.

Also, some people are great at producing code, but they're bad leaders. Like, they don't treat people well. You'd think it would be hard for that sort of leader to survive in open source land, but I have seen it happen. I don't know why people put up with certain people. I figure either their code output is extremely valuable to others, or the project has "selected for" exceedingly easygoing followers. Myself, there are certain things I just won't put up with, that I don't feel anyone should be putting up with. It's no accident that I've stuck around in both the Chicken and CMake communities. They both have easygoing leadership.

I'm going to start a new thread on this subject of leadership. I think this discussion is drifting from the Subject line, but I suppose it does have the word "leading" in the title. :-) Er, maybe we see where this leads? Ok I'll stop now.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every