Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:02:36 +0100

On 2/5/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

And why would you prefer a little bit of every toolkit, as opposed to
picking 1 toolkit and doing a good job wrapping all its functionality?
If you target every toolkit out there, then it'll be capable of very
little.  Too trivial for more than toys.

Dependencies are the problem. By allowing multiple configurations
you will serve a greater number of users and platforms. Also, wrapping a
complete toolkit you just end up with a huge glob of wrapper code that
is constantly out of date as you try to cover all corners (even the quickly
changing ones, i.e. more obscure pieces).

I don't need a super GUI. I just want some portable means of creating
basic, simple GUIs (call them toys, if you want). Add a basic 2D graphics
API, you can then create all the widgets in the world.

> I have a good deal of Qt experience, a bit of FLTK and generally not
> enough resources to create this on my own (surprise!). I also am unable
> to do any windows-related coding.
>
> Would there be someone interested in taking this up or join me with
> such an undertaking?

It's suicide.  Bind Qt.  It doesn't matter if Qt is not all things to
all people.  It has a community behind it, which will cause growth of
Chicken.  You dabble a little in every GUI out there, and you have nothing.

Binding Qt takes too much time, Qt is a big dependency for those who
prefer Gnomish desktops, Qt is too large for some systems. Qt is also quite
slow. Qt is proprietary.

What I've found out so far: the one true C/C++ (native) gui toolkit does not
exist, so I'd rather not bet a bunch of work on wxWidgets or Qt.