Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:54:16 +0100

On 2/5/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

> is smaller than 1-2 MB,
> provides text-editing (multiline), buttons, images, frames, checkboxes,
> and a couple more widgets, simple menus, then I'd be happy.
> FLTK could be the one, but is a bit flaky

And there's actually something rock solid out there?  Chicken doesn't
even have automated nightly builds or testing suites.  "It has bugs"
especially is not a valid excuse in open source.  You can contribute
bugfixes and feature improvements to other communities.  It's a lot more
sane than NIH.

There are reasons to decline other people's software though.  When I
look at OpenGL windowing toolkits, I decline the ones written in C++,
and the ones that don't have active communities.  There's just no value
in 1..3 guys barely getting anything done, almost never making releases,
and having a mailing list where crickets chirp.  CPW and GLFW both have
poachable C starter code, but that's about all.  I'm not going to go try
to save their communities.  The leadership and energy simply isn't
there.  We're better off building a community from scratch here.

In contrast, WxWidgets, Gtk+, and Qt all have vast communities, far
outstripping the size of our little Chicken enclave.  We're small time,
small potatoes, and pretty immature compared to them.  It would be great
to tap into their resources.  Unfortunately, they may be ossified in
their political goals.  I wouldn't bank on "smaller is better" getting
much play in those circles.

Sure, but we do our best to improve the situation. I'm not disregarding
wxWidgets, Qt, or anything. They are fine, for C++ programmers.

In case we have a misunderstanding here: I don't want to write a GUI
toolkit itself, I want to write a portability library (in Scheme) that is able
to work with three or four C++ (or C in Gtk) different GUI toolkits, whatever
is available.