Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:43:49 -0500

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> Well, that's the thing though.  You imagine your needs are simple, and
> so does the next guy, and so does the next guy.  But you don't have the
> same needs, and pretty soon you've reinvented the mother of all GUIs.
> With all the bugs.  What's magical about your basic layer that it won't
> succumb to Second System Syndrome?

It's worse than that.  Open-source developers consciously or unconsciously
are drawn to projects with an active bug-fixing community, which is
facilitated by large systems with thousands of bugs.  As the bugs get
fixed, new features are installed, which creates more bugs, which creates
more buzz.  And so on.

If you want a small stable toolkit, use Tk.  It's not sexy and earlier
versions didn't have native L&F, but it works.  Best yet, we already
have an egg for it.

--
John Cowan   address@hidden   http://ccil.org/~cowan
I must confess that I have very little notion of what [s. 4 of the British