Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:35:30 +0100

On 2/6/07, Matthew Welland <address@hidden> wrote:

Is FLTK flakey? I admit I haven't used it a heck of a lot but I've never
noticed it being flakey. I have an agenda PDA and fltk was very responsive
on it and it seemed quite reliable. In fact my much faster h2200 with Opie
seems quite sluggish in comparison but I haven't done a side by side
comparison.

Well, the documentation has a few holes, but I've used FLTK successfully
most of the time. There are simply some quirky things (like setting the
window-title before showing it the first time, etc) that can be surprising.
Still, its the only toolkit that tries to keep the dependencies and binary
sizes small. I like FLTK and the API is quite sane. It's just quirky,
and sometimes a bit different. I'm used to Qt which is a monstrosity, but
well documented and very robust.

What all these toolkits share is a very static model of programming, which
is a pity. Qt4 has improved support for dynamic widget manipulation, but,
boy, it's fat.

In chicken bb + opengl seemed to work pretty well but a "canvas" equivalent
opengl is not. How about bb + cairo + opengl as a starting foundation? I
really like the idea of building as much as possible in scheme. I'd suggest
going one step further and striving to keep the scheme portion not too
chicken specific. Other schemes would only have to provide the interface
layer and the bulk of the code could be reused.

Phase 1:

| bb | + | cairo | + | opengl |
-----------------------------------
schemish interface layer
-----------------------------------
scheme programs

Phase 2:
Add alternatives to the bb/cairo/opengl layer
gtk/qt/wxwidgets etc.

A good idea. Unfortunately I found cairo a bit hard to grasp. It seems
to have many dependencies and documentation is a bit sparse.

R E S U L T S   F R O M   M Y   A U T O M A T E D   B U I L D
automake: configure.in: AC_ARG_PROGRAM must be used in `configure.in'
automake: Makefile.am: warning: automake does not support EXTRA_DIST being
defined conditionally
automake: Makefile.am: warning: automake does not support SUFFIXES being
defined conditionally
Makefile.am:211: invalid unused variable name: `chicken_static_LDFLAGS'
Makefile.am:209: invalid unused variable name: `chicken_static_SOURCES'
Makefile.am:219: invalid unused variable name: `csi_static_LDFLAGS'
Makefile.am:217: invalid unused variable name: `csi_static_SOURCES'
Makefile.am:210: invalid unused variable name: `chicken_static_LDADD'
Makefile.am:218: invalid unused variable name: `csi_static_LDADD'
+ autoconf
configure.in:9: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
configure.in:47: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:100: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
./configure --prefix=/home/matt/chicken-test/localtestauto
./configure: line 1332: syntax error near unexpected token `1.8.3'
./configure: line 1332: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(1.8.3)'
make BOOTSTRAP_PATH=/usr/local/bin
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
CMake Error: This project requires version 2.4.5 of CMake.  You are running
version 2.4.3.

Like Mario said, something's weird with your autotools setup, I'd say. What
commands are running here?