Re: [Chicken-users] SDL

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SDL
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:25:59 +0100

Just a few remarks about SDL: it's actually pretty small and extremely easy
to use. It also makes a nice OpenGL container. That the current sdl egg links
with all sorts of (optional) SDL extensions is a problem, though. I always used
SDL with joy. Add SDL_image and SDL_ttf and you have a lot of things to
play with. At work we use it for (very) basic GUIs and demos on
embedded systems.
It's also very portable. So for any kind of graphics and gaming I can highly
recommend it.

But for a widget toolkit on top of a lot of work is needed (there are
several attempts
rotting on sourceforge and similar places). Also, resizing windows can
look a bit
ugly on some platforms, IIRC. But there you see the main target: games.