Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit

From: Daniel Sadilek
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] cross-platform gui toolkit
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 10:39:01 +0100

> Hm, I think a "cross-platform gui toolkit" is a big thing anyway?
> Let's assume you want a lighwight GUI toolkit. You said, you want to
> accomplish the platform independency by implementing your API against
> different existing platform specific toolkits. I suppose that approach
> will take as least as much effort as when you implement your API
> against QT, because the platform independency is encapsulated in it.

You may be right there: but with support for a couple of toolkits, you gain one
very important thing: improved independence regarding platforms and
libraries.

> Last but not least: Couldn't the meta-object protocol of QT actually
> help to write a wrapper that is not as fragile regarding changes of QT
> as wrappers for other toolkits regarding their changes?

Right, too. Really, "targeting" Qt(4) is a perfectly reasonable
choice. Actually,
I have no clue what's the best option - but I fear committing to one particular
toolkit.

I see your point. However, independence of the toolkit ranks second
for me. Having a platform independent API with which you can build
full-featured professional looking GUIs ranks first.
It seems to me that here are two groups. One wants a slick API for
3D-OpenGL-game-development and the other a comparatively big API with
lots of standard-widgets for standard-looking desktop-applications.
Perhaps we should distinguish between the requirements these two
groups have? I suppose that two different APIs are necessary.

"but I fear committing to one particular toolkit"
I think there are people who say the same and choose Qt because of that fear ;)

Best regards
Daniel Sadilek