Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken not production quality?

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken not production quality?
Date: 10 Feb 2007 12:01:01 -0200

Hello Alex,

Welcome aboard. :-)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:22:54 -0300 "Alex Queiroz" <address@hidden> wrote:

>      I'm new to Scheme in general. I've been studying with PLT Scheme
> but I'm now looking for a system to develop real applications. I've
> found Chicken and was impressed seeing how easy it is to make native
> applications. Nevertheless, the description of the Debian Chicken
> package contains:
>
> "CHICKEN is a Scheme compiler which compiles a subset of R5RS into C.
> It uses the ideas presented in Baker's paper "Cheney on the MTA", and
> is small and easily extendable, although not a production quality or
> high-performance Scheme system."
>
>      Is this right? Why Chicken is not considered production quality?

That description is old. Take a look at:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2006-12/msg00008.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2006-12/msg00015.html

> Where do you people use it most,

I've been using it for most (if not all) of my programming activities,
which involve system administration, web development, work, fun etc.

> and where do you think it's not the right tool for the job?

Tough question. :-)

Best wishes,
Mario