Re: [Chicken-users] libffi & cmake

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] libffi & cmake
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:24:02 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:

The problem is that there exist many versions of libffi, and some are simply broken or badly installed. Being able to disable should be possible in these
cases. I will look into CMakeLists.txt and make it optional.

Are *old* libffi's the problem? If so, we could test for a version number and take appropriate action.

Or is it like Automake, where if it's too old, it's borked, and if it's too new, it's borked. In which case, chasing version numbers is pointless.

Or is it some horrible set of parallel ill-defined borkings that no one in their mind would want to deal with? In which case, I might ask why use libffi at all? Or, why use a system libffi. If it's that bad, it would be safer to put a "known good" version in Chicken itself, as we do with PCRE.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every